The BGS is seeking to appoint a number of new committee members to progress our work in the area of Finance, Fund Raising and Corporate Affairs. These are voluntary, unpaid roles, though travel costs and other expenses will be covered. The posts are open both to new candidates and to those who are already serving on BGS committees. The anticipated time commitment is one half day per month, but this may vary according to the demands of the role. Administrative support will be provided by the BGS secretariat. The term of office is three years.Those wanting to discuss the purpose or responsibilities in more detail are invited to contact (in confidence) the BGS Honorary Treasurer, Dr Juanita Pascual: firstname.lastname@example.org
Those interested in applying for the post are asked to contact Mark Stewart, Committees and Projects Manger on 0207 608 8575, email@example.com. Applicants are asked to submit a short statement (approximately 250 words) outlining why they wish to apply for the post. The closing date for the receipt of applications is the 30 September 2016.
• To attend the Finance, Fundraising and Corporate Affairs committee meetings (four meetings per year). The post holder will be expected to attend all four meetings.
• To help identify new sources of funding for the Society’s activities.
• To play an active role in monitoring the Society’s financial performance against budget across all of its activities, via the review of monthly management accounts and reviewing the Society’s annual financial statements.
• To assist with the financial management of the Society’s assets.
• To assist in budget setting with the BGS secretariat.
• To monitor the Society’s financial strategic plan; its investment policies and resources, and risk management.
• To be aware of, and assist in responding to, any issues arising from the annual audit of the Society’s financial records.
• To help the Treasurer ensure that strategic issues arising from the Society’s financial performance are brought to the attention of the Operational Directorate, and via the Directorate to the Society’s Trustees.
• To contribute, where appropriate, to the annual report which all committees are required to submit to the Operational Directorate.
Qualifications, knowledge and experience
• Practising geriatrician and member of the BGS (essential).
• Experience of participating in committees.
• Experience in NHS, corporate or charity sector budgeting and financial control.
• A good awareness of current financial and economic trends.
• Experience in investment policy and risk management.
• Experience in fund raising and the management, monitoring and evaluation of financial resources.